SAVY Yoga for Seniors Teacher Training Program
The definition of a senior citizen is not clear, yet some retailers and restaurants give a Seniors’ Discount as early as age 50, others wait until one is 55, and then there are some who judge it to be 60! Most government pension plans kick in when one reaches 65. Most developed world countries accept the chronological age of 65 years as a definition of ‘elderly’ or older person. While this definition is somewhat arbitrary, it is mostly associated with the age at which one can begin to receive pension benefits. At the moment, there is no United Nations standard numerical criterion, but the UN agreed cutoff is 60+ years to refer to the older population.
Canada accepts the chronological age of 65 years as a definition of ‘elderly’ or older person. The number of seniors in Canada is projected to increase from 4.2 million to 9.8 million between 2005 and 2036, with seniors’ share of the population almost doubling from 13.2 to 24.5%. The number of seniors aged 85 and older has grown rapidly over the last two decades and, based on current projections, will continue to increase. Seniors are now more active and show greater interest in health and wellness than ever before.
Why Yoga for Seniors?
New to yoga or a seasoned practitioner, there are very specific considerations for seniors. For yoga teachers, working with this diverse group with wide range of abilities, requires special attention to safety and knowledge. The benefits of improved strength, flexibility, balance, vitality. mood, alertness and health & well-being are achieved only with care and appreciation of the potential for harm if attention to safety and knowledge of contraindications and modifications is not adhered to. RYT 200 Yoga Teachers with good exposure, understanding and experience, preferably with CPR & First Aid training, can be trained in very specialized Yoga for Seniors Program – an in-depth, comprehensive training program for teaching yoga to seniors. There is evidence which recognizes Yoga for Seniors as a safe and effective form of complementary and alternative medicine, to state the minimum. Psychological issues related to aging -honoring the mind and spirit to nurture the emotional health of our students in a seniors yoga class are also addressed.
At Yoga for Seniors, the focus is on safety. Seniors come to yoga with a diverse range of abilities and conditions and even undiagnosed conditions or health issues. The four geriatric giants – immobility, instability, incontinence and impaired intellect/memory play a major role in geriatric problems. Impaired vision and hearing loss are common chronic problems among older people. Hearing problems can lead to social isolation, depression, and dependence as the person can no longer talk to other people, receive information over the telephone, or engage in simple transactions, such as talking to a person at a bank or store. Vision problems lead to falls from tripping over unseen objects, medicine being taken incorrectly because the written instructions could not be read, and finances being mismanaged. Having knowledge of all these and other possible age-related health issues is imperative. With a clear anatomical base and with sound medical information, teachers can modify poses that make yoga safer and possibly more useful for people with those conditions. Physiological, psychological and biochemical bases of common health issues guide to tailor the yoga practice with the intention to prevent the condition or provide therapeutic relief.
The goal of Yoga for Seniors is to meet students where they are at present. Dr Sahdev’s Principles of Yoga Practice for Yoga Teachers and Therapists are especially more relevant for Yoga for Seniors.
The focus includes prevention to keep the body healthy, strong and flexible, and therapeutics for any existing health issues.
As population ages, understanding of the common physical and mental issues and having the expertise and qualification to teach yoga to this large segment of population will provide yoga teachers with a unique and very rewarding niche. Health practitioners and others working with seniors will also highly benefit from this training.
This 100 Hours SAVY Yoga for Seniors course is an advanced Speciality Yoga Teacher Training course and is taught under a Primary E-RYT 500. This can be taken up as an Elective for SAVY 500 (RYT 500) course in-Studio, or, as a separate course, online as well.
Credits of this course would be counted towards RYT 500 course only if taken in-Studio.
If you are looking for genuine Traditional Ashtanga and Vinyasa based Yoga Teacher Training Programs, then Yoga Teacher Training programs at SAVY International Inc, registered with Yoga Alliance USA, provide the correct answer. Dr Jitender K Sahdev, a senior faculty member, has been teaching yoga in India to all age groups for almost three decades. SAVY International Inc is an RYS 300 and RYS 200 Yoga school. SAVY brings exclusively traditional Ashtanga and Vinyasa Yoga, with all its wisdom and genius, to this part of the world. Joining a SAVY program is like embarking upon a journey to discover all this wisdom and genius, to fathom the depths, to scale the unknown heights, to dare to start to tap the unexplored, huge and enormous potential of the expanse of your consciousness, the journey to discover and know yourself in a more complete way!
Strengths of the Program
Dr Sahdev has developed Principles for Yoga Teachers and Therapists guiding Yoga practice. We follow these principles more meticulously for seniors. The biggest asset of Yoga Teacher Training programs at SAVY is that you get to train under an E-RYT 500 yoga teacher who has been actively practicing as a Physician in Modern Medicine in India for last almost three decades, along with working on and teaching Yoga, Yoga Therapy and Alternative Medicine. You get to imbibe and assimilate all that knowledge and understanding during your training!
You get to know about the eight limbs, as well as you are set on a path to know in depth about yoga postures, pranayama, meditation, mantra, marma, yogic kriyas, shatkarma and a lot more. Successful graduates will be well-trained to teach Yoga for Seniors as an expertise. In addition to this, the students also get a chance to get familiar with the correct perspective on Pranayama, Marma Therapy, Mantra Yoga, Nada Yoga, Tantra Yoga, Primordial Sound Meditation, other dynamic and adynamic meditation techniques, Surya Yoga, Swara Yoga, Chandra Yoga, and lots of other lesser understood ancient sciences. Learning is a never-ending process, and this program provides great, basic, firm, sound and accurate information.
This training is appropriate for aspiring teachers as well as dedicated students who are interested in deepening their practice and understanding of Yoga.
What You’ll Learn
- Integrating a theme into a Seniors Yoga class
- Posture modification to accommodate older adults
- Pranayama appropriate for seniors
- Practices to enhance bodily function
- Practices to enhance brain function
- Yoga for Dementia/Alzheimer
- Practices to enhance lung function
- Yoga exercises for Cardiac Rehab & COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary disease)
- Practices geared to older adults with greater mobility and health challenges
- Teaching Chair Yoga Classes for Seniors
- Fundamentals of Yoga Chair Dance for Seniors
- Creating your own Chair Yoga sequence
- Teaching in non-studio settings such as in bed (hospital or home) and wheelchairs
- Visualizations and meditation
- Spiritual practices that support a senior population
- Major senior health challenges such as Osteoporosis, Diabetes, Hypertension etc
- Yoga postures for Osteoarthritis and Osteoporosis
- Examination of scientific research and data
- Marketing to Seniors
- And as usual, a lot more…
The salient features of Registered Yoga Teacher Training at SAVY are:
- Breath, Bandhas, Drishti and Alignment based traditional ashtanga Yoga
- Yoga Alliance Registered SAVY 200 (RYT 200), SAVY 500 (RYT 500) courses
- Comprehensive, authentic, world class, one of the best training in all aspects of Yoga
- Authentic Traditional Ashtanaga and Vinyasa Yoga training based on authentic Yoga with its deep roots in India
- Asanas, Pranayama, Pratyahara, Dhyana, Kriyas. Chakras, Kundalini Awakening, Shatkarma, Marma, Mantra etc
- Clear, concise, to-the-point subject matter and instruction
- One of the most qualified, experienced faculty in the world
- Registered– become a Registered Yoga Teacher
- Preference for Dr Sahdev’s ‘Breathe and Heal’ Breathing Educator Program
- Train up to the highest level – RYS 200, RYS 300 Yoga School
- Go in for Speciality Yoga Teacher Training Programs
- Delve deep into the field of Yoga – Keep learning and sharing knowledge
- Know SAVY Yoga and be conversant with all styles of Yoga
- Affordable, easy payment schedule/ options available
This course is provided in online as well as in Studio directly under Primary E-RYT 500.
SAVY aims to bring the authentic, accurate, genuine and best teachings of yoga from the most respected schools in an encapsulated program for every student of Yoga, that will make proficient & confident teachers capable of teaching anywhere in the World and to a diverse audience.
The following description is applicable to Yoga professionals registered with Yoga Alliance, USA, and is provided as advisory:
- RYT 500. 75 Contact hours will be counted towards RYT 500 course if completed in-Studio under Primary E-RYT 500. Certification Test is mandatory for this purpose. Certificate of Merit and completion of the course will be issued to the candidates only after Certification Test.
- Contact Hours. Up to 75 Hours for Continuing Education can be claimed for this course as Contact Hours if taken in-Studio under Primary E-RYT 500. Certification Test is not mandatory for this purpose. Candidates will be provided a Certificate of Attendance for the course.
- Non-Contact Hours. 20-Hours for Continuing Education can be claimed for this course as non-Contact Hours if taken in-Studio under Primary E-RYT 500 or online. Certification Test is not mandatory for this purpose. Candidates will be provided a Certificate of Attendance for the course.
Though every care is taken to keep the information current, please do check and confirm for the latest updates at the time of registration for the course.
Professional from other streams of professions who choose to take up the course should check with their respective regulatory/ monitoring bodies.
Responsibility of SAVY International Inc. and its Directors, officials and other staff is only up to delivery of the course. No responsibility regarding credit of continuing education hours or acceptance for any other reason by other organizations/ institutes/ associations will be accepted/ entertained by SAVY International Inc. or any of its Directors, officials, teachers etc.
Please check the schedule of upcoming Yoga Teacher Training programs below:
Schedule of Upcoming Courses of SAVY Yoga for Seniors Teacher Training
- In Studio Programs:
Week-end Format, Starting on
- January 2, 2015, ( Friday – 4 pm to 10 pm, Saturday – 6 am to 5 pm, Sunday – 6 am to 4 pm*)
- Please confirm exact dates with the Studio.
- January 2, 2015, ( Friday – 4 pm to 10 pm, Saturday – 6 am to 5 pm, Sunday – 6 am to 4 pm*)
Note: *Dates and times subject to confirmation.
Check the details and updates of schedule with the Studio.
Any change in schedule is at the sole discretion of SAVY International Inc.
Pre-requisites & Course Cost for SAVY Yoga for Seniors Teacher Training Program (SYSTT)
Interested participants are invited to register for the program. Please register one month before the start date of the respective courses.
- Students applying for SYSTT course must provide an RYT 200 certificate from an RYS 200 school registered with Yoga Alliance. Professionals from other streams may submit their respective qualifications.
- Applicants should be able to demonstrate a general level of health and fitness. If you do not fulfill these conditions, your case will be individually assessed.
- The Program Director will review the application to determine the preparedness of the applicant to participate in the program. Final selection will be subject to interview with the Program Director.
Registration Fee and Spot-Booking Fee will be applicable as described above.
Balance Tuition fee is to be deposited at least one month before the course starts.
Balance Tuition Fee Payment :
Lump sum Payment
(In addition to Registration Fee of $295 at the time of Registration and $500 Spot Booking Fee)
To be deposited 1 month before the start date of the course $1000.00
Register NOW to book your spot! Limited seats available.
To check the details of SAVY Yoga Mentorship Program (SYMP), please click here.
To know how to become a DSBH Breathing Educator, please click here.
p style=”text-align: justify;”>[popupwfancybox group=”GROUP2″]